London (AFP) – The British royal family announced this week the dismissal of some staff at the former residence of King Charles III. In response, the union criticized him on the 14th, saying he was “extremely insensitive”.
Up to 100 people, including veterans who have worked there for decades, at Clarence House, the former official residence of King Charles, in London on Saturday during a memorial service for Queen Elizabeth II in Edinburgh, Scotland, d employees received layoff notices.
Following the Guardian’s first report of the 13th, Clarence House confirmed that it would be suspending official business.
The sacking follows the death of the Queen on Saturday and the accession of King Charles to the throne, renouncing the title of “Prince of Wales” and the Duchy of Cornwall. .
Similar measures were taken following the death of the Queen Mother in 2002 and the Queen’s husband, Prince Philip, last year.
But Mark Serwotka, general secretary of the British civil servants’ union PCS, said: ‘There is no blood or tears at Clarence House announcing mourning redundancies. “While it is natural that the role of the royal family has changed, so has the royal family, but the number of sackings and the speed of their announcement is extremely cold,” he said.
According to royal officials, there have been attempts to delay the timing of issuing the dismissal notice until after the Queen’s funeral on March 19, but after seeking legal advice, the notice must be published as soon as possible.
Affected employees will receive “top-up” severance pay and at least three months before their official dismissal. (c) ATP