In January this year, a 40-year-old husband who worked for a pharmaceutical manufacturer was arrested by the Metropolitan Police Department on suspicion of murder for killing his wife by giving her methanol to drink in a neighborhood apartment from Ota, Tokyo.
My husband is responsible for drug research and development, and the Metropolitan Police Department is investigating the details.
He denies the allegations against the investigation.
Kasuke Yoshida (40), an employee of a pharmaceutical company in Nishimagome, Ota Ward, was arrested.
According to the Metropolitan Police Department, in January this year he was suspected of murdering his wife, Yoko (40), in her flat by making her drink methanol.
Yoko died after being unconscious in the room and taken to the hospital. Following a detailed investigation by the Metropolitan Police Department, a lethal amount of methanol was detected in the blood, etc. poisoning”. is.
Methanol was also detected in the stomach contents, so it was possible that it had been mixed in with the meal, so the Metropolitan Police Department was investigating the suspicion that he had been murdered.
According to investigative sources, the husband had occasion to handle methanol while working in drug research and development.
The Metropolitan Police Department is investigating the details as the history of outside purchases, such as off-the-shelf items, have not been confirmed.
Responding to the investigation by the Metropolitan Police Department, he denied the charges saying: “It’s not true. I never had any murderous intent towards my wife and I didn’t bring any methanol in the house.”
Methanol “Even a small amount can cause death”
When introduced into the body, it breaks down and a harmful substance called “formic acid” is generated, which can lead to blindness or death due to “acute methanol poisoning”.
Moreover, even if it is mixed in drinks, it is said that there is almost no change in taste or smell, and many overseas death cases have been reported due to the bootleg alcohol that uses methanol.
Takuyo Chiba, a doctor at Narita International University of Health and Welfare Hospital who specializes in drug and poison poisoning, said: “If a person eats something very pure, a very small amount can lead to death. It’s hard to notice, and it’s very dangerous.”
The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare calls for attention to immediately contact a doctor in the event of ingestion by mistake.
Daiichi Sankyo “Strictly treat employee advice thoroughly”
“We take an employee’s arrest very seriously, and we will fully cooperate with the police investigation, confirm the facts and treat this strictly as a business, as well as provide thorough guidance to our employees and so on. after.
Additionally, according to the company, chemicals are typically managed in the research building’s warehouse, and employees are required to record them in a log when entering and leaving.
On top of that, he said, “I would like to refrain from responding as the investigation is ongoing,” regarding the suspect’s handling of chemicals and whether the methanol was removed.
Leave a Reply